Sunday, September 16, 2012

My beef


Being here and working in other countries has taught me a bit about the expatriate community.  Take it as you will as this is only my observation.  Men especially have come to believe that they can have any girl that they want.
This building is the center of town

Why this observation you ask?

When my friends and I go to a new place we attempt to connect our friends with other friends or acquaintances that may be in the same place where friends are. And so this story begins. 

This is a KFC building
My good friend Margrethe informed me that she has a friend here in Hanoi who is nice and would be cool to hang with. He has been in this area of the world for a while and therefore would be able to show me around.  Of course this was exciting. She connected us on facebook.  I contacted the guy and introduced myself and told him where I was living as he is also in Hanoi.  He wrote to me and indicated that he wanted to meet up on Friday night at around 7h30pm.

This guy called me and indicated that he would not arrive until 8h30 pm as he had something to do and would be running a bit late.  This was fine as it’ was a Friday. I had planned on meeting up with some of my other friends later on in the evening anyway so I thought I meet with them later.  So I was like sure. This guy did not show up until 11h30pm. 
The architect is the same person who created the Eiffel in Paris 

I was a bit turned off by the time but whatever; we had good conversation. But I was a bit surprise as he said he went through all of my face book pictures and was very excited to meet me. I was like okay? After talking here for like an hour or so we went bike riding by Tay Ho Lake. We rode a motorcycle around the lake and he gave me a tour around the city.  This was very nice of him. Something which I was very grateful for.  
local bar. I liked the writing on the walls
On our way around we stopped by his place as he said he wanted to get a drink of water.  So we got to his apartment, he made a sandwich for himself as he said he was hungry.  He ate, and then we talked, and then the conversation went to my personal life and relationship, which I was not comfortable with as I did not like where it was going. Also he was getting too comfortable in his apartment. I told him it was past 3am and I needed to go to sleep.  So we left

A week later he was  leaving for a while out of the country so on Monday he called that he would arrive at my place at 10h30pm to say bye before he left.  He did not arrive until 11h30pm. While talking to this guy, he kept talking about my body type and shape and how I am the “perfect shape” so to say.  I never understand what this means. I am not sure if guys think this turns girls on, but it is a line that I have heard before. Now this was going on and on for a while.  I changed the topic many times but it kept going back to how my attitude, shape, body size and such are what he looks for in a girl. 
Ho Chi Minh mausoleum at night 

What was interesting about this guy who kept me intrigue is that that he realized that I have issue with controlling my feelings or did like talking about my feelings.  Additionally the fact that I don’t like compromising myself or making comprises about some of my beliefs. Which I am still working on. Overall it was a good conversation with this guy. However, I had to make it clear to him that I was not interested in him at all as I was getting over someone else. Still, he would not quit. We spoke for an hour and at 12 we ended the conversation as I was yawning. 

The president's palace
The deal breaker was at 12 when I walked him to the elevator, he was like what time are you waking up tomorrow?  I was like 7h30 am. He was like well I don’t have to wake up until 6h30 am.  I was standing there, looking stupid although I had an idea where this fool was going with the conversation. So I was like oh okay I guess you have to wake up earlier than I do then. He was like yes I do, so I don’t mind sleeping over.  WHAT!!! I played it stupid again and said well I don’t think you would fit on my couch. He was like; I was talking about sleeping on your bed.  I was like, no that is not going to happen.

Why did this fool assumed that anything was going to happen? Mind you the guy is like twice my age.   

The next day I was talking to my work colleague about my night, and he was like what’s his name, and I indicated his name. He was like; he has gone out with half the expatriate community.
But I guess I should have known better since both times he came by my place, it was “booty call” hours.

That is just my beef.

But yes the beef is that foreign men who are abroad realize that the locals are interested in then, then they get this huge head and think that everyone find them as attractive. They need to snap out of it.  

Independence day in Vietnam.  

No comments:

Post a Comment