Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I have been here for four months and how do I feel you ask?


Today is Tuesday and let me say that the day went well. It is funny how I am now used to the stares that I do not think about it much anymore.  But let me say that while I attempt to avoid noticing them, other ensure that I do notice that they are in fact staring at me.  

So I walk from my house every morning to catch a taxi to go to work.  While walking this week one man called me very franticly, I looked at him to see what he wanted. This fool took his phone out and asked me to stand there while he takes a picture of me. What did I do? Of course I rolled my eye at him and walked off.  

Another incident was when I took a taxi from work to home; the driver was looking at me the whole time while he was driving.  I did not mind so much as here in Viet Nam the cars travel less than 40km/h due to heavy traffic. Once we go to my apartment, the taxi driver also took his phone camera out, attempt to take a picture of me. Once again I told him I did not appreciate it.  
2012-11-14 17.30.00.jpg 
But then yesterday I snapped at a man who kept looking at me, he walked towards me.  When he got very close to me he started raising his voice, yelling and making a scene. I had no idea what he was saying.  

But let me say that it’s not all bad.  I realize that when people stare at me and I stare back at them, they either turn away or smile. I like it when people smile as I see it as a curiosity thing then bigotry.

While I sometime know this is the case with some people, it is still a bit disturbing, especially when their curiosity leads to them touching me. … So I now have braids in right, and you know new braids hurt. Before I continue let me enlighten some of my friends…Actually what people should know is that a lot of black women, me included do not like when people touch our hair.  This dislike amplifies when I have my afro or when I have just completed new braids. Reason being? Braids hurt as hell when they are new! My afro, it’s a bitch to wash and to comb; and get it to that shape, so no, I don’t want your finger print in my hair.

2012-09-26 06.29.33.jpg
So where was I? Yes, I was at a restaurant and one of the women working there came to my table and began to pull at my hair. I pulled away from her and her hand continued to follow head.  I told my colleague to tell her that I did not like her hand in my hair. He told her. She apologised for touching me, but then she continued to do so. What the? 

I was not upset at the incident, I found it funny as hell as this woman kept touching my hair although she was apologising. It was her curiosity. Hmmm, I guess now that I think about, I did not find it as funny as I thought for I have not gone back there since.   

So I have been here for four months and how do I feel you ask? Hmmm… I don’t know, I have to say that adjustment has not been easy. I love my job and like what I am doing. That keeps me around. People’s reactions are sometime offensive but I believe my ability to cope with my experience can only determine how long I will stay here.

In hindsight, I believe this should be part of the “before departure” training that organizations often provide before their employees depart for field placements.

Peace!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment