Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Angolan Party

6-10-2012


My last week was spent half at home, the hospital and at work.  I have to say it was mostly spend in bed.  I have been sick lately and I guess because I have been on a go for the past few weeks it finally took its toll on me.  

I have been mostly week I guess.  Now that I am writing this, hmmm, did anything interesting happen? Oh yes, bloody hell.  So I went out to get some drinks at lunch time with a few colleagues, we were walking towards a table when the table beside the empty one, a group of men started pointing at me and laughing.  I was so disturbed and caught off guard that I ruined my whole mood.  One of my colleagues just said to ignored them as we walk towards the table.  But this time I could not.  I ask that we leave the restaurant.  We walked to another restaurant.  

I am not sure why I was caught off guard. I mean I experience it every day; it’s just that this time, I don’t know. I really can’t explain it. It was very “bush” or “village” like.  I don’t know if this make sense in English but some of you would understand this.  This is the only way to describe it.  

Oh, on the weekend I went out with John, no not the Irish guy as many of you have been asking about him but the Nigerian guy.  We met other people from Angola, so you know I was a bit excited to meet other Africans. Well I guess I should not have been too excited. As many of you know Angolans peak Portuguese, and these guys spoke little English. Conversation was very very difficult.  But it was still nice to meet them.  The next day they had a birthday party and I went.  They live in a gated embassy/UN compound and it did not look like Vietnam that is all I have to say. 

The party itself was nice, I got to meet some of the other guys I had met at the club the night before, as well as the ambassador, who I met when I first got here.  I asked them to show me the Angolan dance Zouk dance. Now you know I really can’t dance; well now I know that I really can’t dance.  Note to self take some Zouk classes if I find it here.

I came home early as I was very sick and could not contain it any longer. Overall it was very nice to be out of my house and out of the crowded space of Hanoi for a few hours.


So how is Vietnam going for me now?  hmmm, I don't know, I have not had days where I wanted to come home, but sometimes the ignorance can be a bit much to deal with.  
By far one of the best pictures I have taken. Very nice kid also, he will really break hearts later on 

No comments:

Post a Comment