Sunday, October 28, 2012


It’s the end of my vacation and I am now going home.  So how did this past week go? It went really good.  As previously indicated the wedding was last week Saturday and on Sunday, I took the train to Vienna to meet up with Sondre. I was very tired from the wedding preparation so I slept for two days. Well not really, but I was unproductive in terms of doing touristy things.  We basically walked around town, not going anywhere specifically; however we managed to see a lot of the famous sights as we later found out.



The days after was followed by walking more around town and going to the museum quarter.  In this area there is a kebab stand that sells good raps. Maaaan was the food good there.  Just talking about it makes my mouth water. 









On Thursday and Friday, efforts were made to do some sightseeing, which we did not discover during our first couple of days of walking around the city. We went to the Austrian historical museum and Schönbrunn Palace where Maria Antoinette grew up. At the Historical museum, I was very disappointed; for a country with such great history, the museum was not set up properly to present the tales.  It appears that historical items were put on display without and description to indicate their importance.  This was a bit irritating. 
The the second place we went to was the Schönbrunn Palace. The palace was almost as extravagant as the Château de Versailles in France. The colours of the fall leaf made the grounds of the place looked even more amazing.   
                                    
On Friday we went to the Österreichische Galerie Belvedere, to see some of Gustav Klimt artwork.  I was impressed by his work.  I was very very happy to see his artwork. Also I was impressed by the actual size of the panting themselves.  They were huge.  I mean if you have ever seen the Mona Lisa, it is pretty small compare to how one imagines before they see the original panting.  Oh and I also managed to see Jacques-Louis David's painting of “Napoleon Crossing the Alps”.  It is a very impressive painting as well. 
     
Because we were very tired, we went back to the hotel after attending the gallery.  Later in the evening, we went to see a classical concert.  Coming to Austria, I had my heart set on seeing an opera as I had never seen one before; however I must say I was very happy that I went to see a classical concert.  The concert included an opera piece as well as a ballet piece.
                  
This vacation was by far one of my best ones.  


No comments:

Post a Comment