Saturday, July 21, 2012

I don’t like the stares

10-07-2012


Today 10-07-2010 I woke up early yet again. I am actually surprise that I woke up early since Alex and my Mom called me while I was asleep. I went to bed early as well because I was too tired and still very jet legged. Walking to work was another uneventful journey as I got some gawk and laughs. But I realize that once you look back at people then they look at way. I don’t know how I feel about this. I am mostly annoyed by the ignorance and the lack of decency. Like I said earlier, the children are much better as they glance and go about their business while the adults will stare at me when I am coming and continue to stare after I pass. Bloody ridiculous.

I went to look at an apartment today. It was an apartment that had potential if it was to be cleaned up and painted. However I did not like the fact that one has to pay internet, cable, utility and other benefits separately. In Canada I would need to do that, but here they rent it all together and this is the only apartment that was separated. Also if I pay it separate, it would come from my pocket however if it is together, it would come from the organization. The agent was nice, very young girl who has just graduated from university. I asked her to look around for a two bedroom apartment or a house for me.


We went to a Japanese restaurant for lunch. It was very nice. I met one of my colleague Steve* who was in the field. Very funny man. He asked me about my experience with the people so far and explained to him about my discomfort. He informed me that if I would feel more comfortable if I would stay in the expatriate areas. This is an idea that I am considering now. I told myself that I would never lived in expatriate areas or only visit expatriate bars when I work abroad, but sadly I am considering it in this case. We will see how I feel as I get use to this country.
 

After work we walk home. I walked with Antoinette home. Well the stares were the same. This time people laughed very loud and I was not comfortable at all. But like I said earlier when you look at people they look away. And this time I stared back. According to Antoinette, they “lose face” once you stare back at them. But I attempted to hold the gaze of people who looked at me while they were walking towards me. I felt a bit of a satisfaction if I have to say.

After I got home, I wanted to go out to find something to eat as the hotel only serves breakfast. It was raining heavily and the gust attendant informed me that perhaps I can order in. That is what I did. To be honest, I was happy I did not have to go outside. Not because of the rain but because of the people and the stares. Now I am in my hotel room eating my Italian food. Pretty good actually.

Let’s call it a night... Until next time

3 comments:

  1. Cool to read your adventures and see some pics!! Hope you'll feel home soon.
    Hugs and kisses
    Wietske

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds familiar! hang in there. you'll at least get used to it :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope so. I would be nice to feel at home and use to the behaviours.

    ReplyDelete