Saturday, July 21, 2012

It’s my birthday


2012-07-12


Today is my birthday and I went all the way. Well, as all the way as I can possibly go in a new country with no family or friends here. In the morning I had my blue jeans on and a t-shirt. But I realize it was my birthday so I wanted to make the best of it. I changed in to my suit dress. No not the one that got me in trouble in Zimbabwe but a different one. I wore the earrings that Emelia gave me and my beige shoes, only high heels that I do not have to stuff in order for it to fit.

Speaking of fit shoes, I need to buy lots and lots before I leave this country. Okay back to what I was say. Well I wore all of that and walked to work. My head was as high as it could possibly go because I know I looked good; and my high heels, for those of you who knows me can imagine that the heels enhances my walk more than I like, but I had no shame as I knew I looked good.

Of course my walk from the hotel to work was no different than any other day. Still people would look and so would I. Actually adults started saying hi. This was a first. Normally it would be children. So yes, people looked, and looked, and looked. I don’t know how I felt; I was a bit nervous as I though maybe my walk
was a bit of an attention getter, then my dress. But then I realize f$*% it, as if they don’t look at me everyday. As for my walk. I was very well blessed with it; it is not like I can help it either.
lol

At work, it was nice. I got some happy birthdays thrown my way. I contacted two of my work colleagues and two friends that I had met here to set a time for dinner. Mind you all Canadians, I met them through work colleagues.

I asked one of my work colleagues to go with me to the bank as I needed to get a bank card.

On our way there Tran*, asked me about my stay here so far; she wanted to know if I was having any difficulties. I was not too sure about being forward about my lack of comfort with the locals so I was going around the question. She is dating someone from West Africa so I asked her what her boyfriend thought
about being here. She said that he found it difficult but he is okay now. However his two friends are having some difficulties, one left after a year and the other, his wife and children left after three months. They found that they were targets of racism. According to Tran* as a Vietnamese dating a black person here, it is difficult but she does not care so much. People do comment and are rude to her. She tried to put it in a good perspective that few people have traveled to places where there are racial diversity. It was a nice way to put it, but I had considered that. It mad me feel a bit better but still, the stares and the pointing are uncomfortable. She asked me again. I told her to be honest, I was having difficulties as I did not like the reaction and people are not settling here. But I guess we will see how it goes.

But before that I went to see two other apartments from the expatriate area that I looked at yesterday. I think I might stay there. One reason is that I feel more comfortable there. You can take it anyway you like. Secondly the air is better there. This one is very much true, and that is one of the selling point.Oh and the
lake view. It’s crazy. I love it.

I was also thinking of taking some dance classes and I was informed if I wanted to play soccer in organized teams and do some of those extra circular activities, the area, West Lake has plenty. So I think it might be my new location. The apartments that I saw were nice but for one the bathroom did not do it for me
although the view was nice. The second there was no bathroom outside only in the bedroom. I will have visitors going to my bedroom to use the bath room. Hmmm, I don’t like that too much.

After that we went to the bank to get me a new bank card. It was a pleasant thing to do. I got stares at the bank but it was less. Something I like.

After work I went to my hotel to change and talk to one of my friends B. It is always nice to speak to her as she is a funny and honest. Something that I love. While talking to her my colleague came to pick me up for my Birthday Dinner.

One of my colleagues, a tall Caucasian from Canada as well expressed to me that he had difficulties being a tall white guy here. He got the same reactions, however admittedly, my skin colour make me stand out a bit more. And of course create more reaction. For now he has gotten over some of the things, but I should wait and see.

Dinner was nice. We went to an Indian place called Namaste. Very nice food and all. We had some great discussions and over all a good night. Later we walk to a drinking place called La Place. It is near the catholic Cathedral. This picture does not do it justice but it was nice from the outside. While I am in this
country I will attempt to go in for mass service. Apparently they have a service in English; this is good since my Vietnamese is none existent. The drinking café was nice we talked more about Canadian politics and how Stephen Harper is destroying our country.

My birthday could not have been better, I spoke with my mother, niece and nephew. This was the highlight of my day.

Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment