Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Snapped


So I just about had enough today.  While walking to work, I snapped at three people.  This was a surprise as when I left my hotel, I was like I am not going to be bothered, I am not going to be bothered. As I got to two blocks, a man kept looking at me.  He was looking at me from afar and when I got close he was still looking at me.  So I stopped beside him and I was like “Yes?” he looked at me surprised and realized that I was talking to him because he was looking at me.  He then put his head down very quickly.  I was shock of myself. And I was thinking, what have I done? Why did I even do that?  Two seconds later, the same, I stopped beside a guy and asked him what he was looking at?  He did the same.  Then I was thinking to myself, oh my gosh! What is wrong with me?  I should not let them bother me.  But then a block later I actually stopped and just looked at a guy while he looked at me as well. He also realized what was going on.

Now I am not sure why I did that, but of course I know why because I was tired and sick of it.  It is out of my character to have let this bother me, but of course I have expressed in every blog that I am very much bothered. 

I got into work and I felt disappointed in myself that I lost control. But I guess it was bound to happen.   I spoke to my mother, who happen to call me and I expressed what I had done.  She informed me that it solve anything and they would continue to look at me. But I knew this already and I continued to act the way I did. 

I expressed this to my work colleague and he said at least all I did was asked them what they were looking at.  He has done far more worst.  Either way it does not excuse what I did.  However, I must admit that I had some sort of satisfaction out of it. 

After work I walked home and well the stares were the same. No! I did not snap at them. While walking to my hotel, saw a restaurant and I walked in.  The restaurant is called Highway 4, very nice.  The waiter after staring at me for a while decided to make conversation with me. He was a nice guy and I attempted my best to speak slowly.  He understood me and I the same. 


After dinner, I went to my hotel and later went out with Ross, the guy that I met the night when I got lost, you know the “English Gentleman”.  I just wanted to get out of my hotel a little so we went to a restaurant.  We had a good conversation, more or less what he was doing here and how long he has been here. It is nice to meet someone outside of my work. 

I got home late and I went to sleep

Oh I hope this does not happen again 

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog you have here Rita. This reminds me about all the eyes that followed me in Uganda, especially when we lived outside the city centre. Do you think they may be looking at you because they do not see persons with your skin colour so often? Or is it your walk and your looks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think that, but then it is not just the stares, it is the burst out of laughter and pointing that is annoying and make me uncomfortable. As for my walk… ah… no comment!

    ReplyDelete